Your Career: Ace that job interview
Getting an interview is an achievement in itself. Only a tiny proportion of applicants are selected for the interview stage: this means you made a positive impression and you should be proud of yourself.
But don’t forget that preparation is the main ingredient to have a positive outcome.
First of all, let’s understand all the types of interview you may face.
Here are the most common ones:
- Face to face
- Over the Phone
- Via Skype
- Video (pre-recorded questions and recorded answers)
Each interview type has pros and cons (we will analyse it in the next article), different tricks and require specific preparation, but here is a basic list of things you should check prior to any type of interview:
- Research the company: history, founders, mission values, locations etc…
- Dress smartly (even if it’s a phone interview, it’s a confidence-boost!)
- Research and analyse competitors: who are they? What do they do better/worst?
- Research the interviewer when possible: this is a good way to know what to expect and prepare some specific questions
- Re-read your application, CV and cover letter: make sure you don’t contradict yourself
- Smile and be enthusiast: people are not chosen for technical skills only!
- Speak clearly and not too fast: you should practice with a friend or record your answers
- Make sure you know why you are applying for that specific job – read the Job Description very carefully
- Make sure you know why you are a good fit for the company: do you share their mission and vision? Do you have what it takes to be part of their team?
- Prepare some interesting questions: no personal questions to the interviewer, but questions about the company culture, mission and career development opportunities are highly appreciated
- Send a thank you note after the interview. You should always send a short email to express gratitude to the interviewer for taking the time for you.
If you want to ace your next interview and land that job you’ve been dreaming of, follow these basic steps and don’t miss our next article on different interview types.
Good hunting, and good luck!
Words written by: Founders of Ni-cons.